For my birthday my daughter bought me a book called 500 writing prompts…500 questions to read, ponder and possibly spark an idea worth writing about… a new novel, blog, etc. Some of the prompts are simple observations of life in general, but others…hmmm..I thought a little strange…here’s the first one that caught my eye…
- How important is communication in a relationship? “REALLY? That question has been asked to death. Even if we don’t communicate well, we still have to speak to each other don’t we? “What’s for dinner?” “Your mom called again, will you please call her!” “What the hell are you wearing?”
- Do you think chewing gum is beneficial or a bad habit? “Guess it depends on who you ask. I suppose a dentist would be against gum chewing for obvious reasons, but is it really a bad habit? I think smoking is a bad habit…but chewing gum..don’t think so.”
- Have you ever made a bad first impression? “How the hell would you know? I guess if the new person you meet never speaks to you again, that might be a sign you didn’t make a good first impression.”
- What is the best lie you’ve ever told? “Sounds like something to discuss in the confessional with a priest! The question makes lying sound like a good thing…we’ve all told little white lies…”you look great in that dress!” “Yes, I think he likes you but he probably hasn’t called because he drove off a cliff!” “No those pants don’t make your butt look big.” But in all honesty, not lying about things large and small is a good thing.
- If your family had a mascot, what would it be? “The only sport we played in my family was my dad teaching me and my brothers how to box..I think I was the mascot because as you can imagine…I was the one beaten to a pulp.”
- Do you find skeletons interesting or scary? “I personally don’t have an opinion on skeletons.”
- Finish this question…”I would love to jump into a pile of…” “Only thing that comes to mind is shit or leaves…take your pick!”
- Have you ever pretended to be someone else? “Like dressing up like a princess when I was five? Does that count? I have a hard enough time just being me!”
- Do you think dinosaurs and humans could coexist today? “Ummm…where would a dinosaur live..in your backyard? Would we keep them as pets? Who’d want the job of picking up dinosaur doo doo?”
- Have you ever been the subject of a rumor? “I say you haven’t lived until someone makes up a rumor about you!”
- Do you or someone you know have a disability? “Thats a dangerous question…who gets to define disability? Is being stupid a disability?”
So far none of these prompts have generated the next great american novel…but they’ve been fun to read!